Senior PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis (SMR)
Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unfailingly safe and secure source of clean energy using nuclear fission, called the SMR-160 small modular reactor. The position is offered by SMR LLC as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry.
The Senior Probabilistic Safety Analysis (PSA) Engineer for Accident Analysis will be responsible for leading, performing, and mentoring other PSA engineers on the techniques and requirements associated with evaluating the plant and containment response using thermal hydraulic and containment response codes.
The ideal Senior PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis will have in-depth experience with developing and applying various one or more accident analysis codes including RELAP, MELCOR, RADTRAD, and/or GOTHIC. The ideal Senior PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis will also have experience with atmospheric dispersion modeling using ARCON96 or an equivalent code. Experience with severe accident response and abnormal/emergency operating procedures development is highly desirable. The Senior PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis will be part of a team executing a U.S. Government cost-shared development program requiring efficient completion of engineering assignments.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead and execute key severe accident and containment response using RELAP, MELCOR, RADTRAD, and/or GOTHIC as a member of the multinational PSA team, including performing engineering analyses and developing technical documentation
- Lead and execute atmospheric dispersion analysis using ARCON96 or equivalent code
- Provide mentoring to other PSA team members on the development and use of the various accident analysis codes
- Review and provide critical comments and recommendations on accident analysis vendor related products
- Gain a deep understanding of the SMR-160 concept design, its safety features and design functions of the plant’s Systems, Structures, and Components (SSC).
- Maintain and update SMR-160 accident analysis base decks and models to ensure they reflect plant design changes
- Interact with team members from other disciplines and vendors
- Prepare and review design deliverables and presentations
- Support development of engineering and licensing documentation
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team
- B.S. degree in Nuclear Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of engineering with 5+ years of progressive experience in application of accident analysis codes for PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis position, 10+ years for Senior PSA Engineer for Accident Analysis position
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents
- Willingness and ability to learn additional accident analysis and/or atmospheric dispersion software codes
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Optional Additional Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Nuclear Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of engineering
- Experience in commercial nuclear or naval nuclear design and/or operation
- Experience in safety analysis of Pressurized Water-type reactors (PWR)
- Experience assessing plant response to Beyond Design Basis Accidents is an asset.
- Experience with multiple accident analysis codes and/or atmospheric dispersion codes is an asset.