The primary purpose of a Machinist is to setup and operate all machines on the shop floor in order to produce precision parts and instruments. The position applies knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures. The position may require routine machine maintenance and programming capabilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, or materials onto machines.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines, and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Work from drawings, work orders, and instructions covering production parts or tooling requirements.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machining tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools to perform precision machining operations.
- Measure, examine, or test completed units to check for defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments, such as micrometers.
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized CNC machine control media.
- Position and fasten work pieces.
- Maintain Service Center machines (Haas, FPT, VBM, and Toshiba), applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Work with Production Supervisors to train and develop new personnel when needed.
- Record time and production on paper and computerized systems.
Physical Demands & Abilities:
- Must be able to lift up to a maximum of 50 lbs.
- Must have Near Vision, Multi limb Coordination, and Manual Dexterity Physical Abilities.
- Shop Managers, Production Supervisors, Product Line Managers
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- High School Degree or equivalent minimally required. 2 Year Technical Degree or completion of Relevant Apprenticeship program required. Experience and on-the-job training may be used in lieu of formal apprenticeship program.
- Experience with CNC machinery and programming required. Experience with Fanuc and HAAS and controls preferred.
- At least 3-5 years professional experience minimally required, 5+ years’ experience preferred.
Apply for this position