Environmental, Occupational Health, and Safety (EH&S) Specialist
Holtec International is a diversified energy technology company with a 50 acre state-of-the art $260 million Krishna P. Singh Technology Campus (KPSTC) on the Delaware River in Camden, NJ. KPSTC is the home of Holtec’s Advanced Manufacturing Division (AMD) that incorporates the latest in fabrication technology, machinery, and information management software to enable precision manufacturing of large and complex weldments. AMD is seeking a professional to implement and maintain Holtec’s integrated ISO 14001 & 45001 environmental, health and safety management systems and programs.
The primary purpose of the EHS Specialist is to provide guidance to the site service management team; conduct facility and site safety audits; evaluate performance of daily routines; develop and deliver training programs to Holtec employees, contractors, and clients; conduct accident investigations; and facilitate Human Performance training.
This position reports directly to the Corporate Director of EH&S.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the administration, coordination, and implementation of the Holtec EHS management systems, program(s), policies, and protocols.
- Develop technical documents including hazard assessments, impact assessments, work instructions, EHS procedures, safety alerts, lessons learned, toolbox talks, permits, and guidance documents.
- Maintain a comprehensive database for all audits, incidents, near misses, inspection, safety observation reports, and corrective actions; use Excel to graph and analyze statistical data to evaluate leading and lagging indicators and to help management in making informed decisions.
- Participate in morning toolbox talks; accompany supervisors during shop, field and site visits to assist them in identifying and correcting potential hazardous conditions; interface with internal and external customers and employees to promote an organizational culture that supports safe work practices.
- Develop and/or review job safety analysis, job hazard analysis and PPE hazard analysis; brief Management, recommend hazard control measures and personal protective equipment (PPE) specific for each task.
- Participate in EHS site audits, inspections and routine surveys including the development and drafting of audit documentation, tracking corrective actions, and monitoring trends in results of audit activities.
- Investigate accident and near miss incidents; facilitate the incident review process to determine root cause; assist supervisors in preparing injury and loss control reports; recommend corrective and preventative measures; follow-up to ensure all corrective actions are in place and working.
- Interface with union and non-union craft, management, and client representatives.
- Advise site management and serve as a resource for the technical interpretation of health, safety, and environmental regulations, company and client policies and procedures.
- Develop and deliver job specific training to managers, employees, clients and contractors to include OSHA’s 30 hour safety training (crane and rigging activities, LO/TO, hand and power tools, powered industrial trucks, fall protection, hazard communication, etc.), supervisor safety development, new employee orientation and human performance training.
- Prepare and maintain EHS files and records to include environmental permits, work permits, change management, incident reports, OSHA logs, safety surveillance reports, and site service metrics and statistics.
Training and Experience:
- BS in Occupational Environmental Health and Safety (preferably from a BCSP accredited program). Will accept BA or BS from accredited institution with professional certification(s) in the safety field, or science, engineering, or technology degrees. Will also accept professional certifications (GSP, ASP, CSP, OHST, CHMM, or CIH).
- 5+ years’ experience in general industry (Preferably heavy gauge metal manufacturing).
- Must have flexibility to work extended hours and an occasional Saturday or Sunday as needed.
- Prior experience in training and facilitating.
Other Essential Functions:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word, Outlook).
- Demonstrate problem identification solving skills through lateral and critical thinking.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Strong technical background with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and with limited supervision while abiding by company guidelines. Strong self-initiative and self-leadership preferred.
- Intermittent sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, kneeling, twisting, and lifting.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders to varying heights.
- Ability to wear fall protection equipment.
- Lifting requirements are limited to 50 pounds.
- Must be alert to equipment and machinery in the shop or field.
- Occasional need to walk on uneven ground.
- Exposure to chemicals, dust, gas and/or fumes, noise, extremes in temperature or humidity.
Affirmative Action/Employment Opportunity:
- Holtec International provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Amount of Travel:
- 5% (To augment audits, inspections, or other EH&S personnel in the field at client nuclear facilities or other Holtec Manufacturing Divisions in Orrville, OH, or East Pittsburgh, PA).