BOP Process Engineer (SMR)

Camden, NJ
Full Time

Job TitleBalance of Plant Process Engineer (SMR)

Locations:  NJ, MI, NY

Job Description:

Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unfailingly safe and secure source of clean energy using nuclear fission, called the SMR-160 small modular reactor. Holtec is a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry.

Are you interested in working with an innovative project on a first-of-a-kind reactor design? SMR-160 is a small modular reactor based on PWR technology. The SMR-160 project provides an exciting opportunity to work alongside innovative engineers focused on developing the next generation light water reactor to be deployed around the world. This role will oversee and direct work activities within Holtec and its subcontractors on balance of plant structures, systems, and components. This role is tasked with informing design configurations with valuable operability insights to ensure appropriate functionality, optimize reliability and cost, and ensure compliance with U.S. nuclear industry best practices.

Specific Areas of Responsibility:

  • Support the engineering conduct and oversight of balance of plant systems, including the turbine generator, turbine auxiliaries, cooling water systems, utility systems, and other mechanical process systems
  • Support development and validation of system documentation including P&IDs, design descriptions, specifications, logic diagrams, process flow calculations, and equipment sizing
  • Inform system and component design requirements and approaches, including component and product integration within the balance of plant and with nuclear island structures, systems, and components
  • Support development of equipment specifications for Balance of Plant equipment and major subcontracts
  • Assist in evaluating system configurations to achieve startup and shutdown objectives for the balance of plant
  • Support development and knowledge exchange within a cross-functional BOP engineering team, comprised of across traditional engineering fields
  • Support development of Safety Analysis Report contents

Minimum Requirements:

  • 10+ years of experience in process engineering, chemical engineering, or power plant engineering applications, or a closely related field
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Nuclear Engineering, or closely related field
  • Demonstrated experience with balance of plant systems, including steam, water, air, electric, and waste heat systems.
  • Effective communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
  • Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents.
  • Strong problem-solving and computer skills.

Desirable Additional Qualifications:

  • Commercial PWR Plant experience
  • Experience with PWR nuclear island systems
  • Language proficiency: Korean


  • Infrequent travel expected (< 5%)
  • Relocation assistance offered
  • Recruitment Locations:
    • Camden, NJ area
    • South Haven, MI area
    • Buchanan, NY area, with routine travel to Camden, NJ office location

Apply for this position

Apply with Indeed
We've received your resume. Click here to update it.
Attach resume as .pdf, .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, or .rtf (limit 5MB) or Paste resume

Paste your resume here or Attach resume file

To comply with government Equal Employment Opportunity and/or Affirmative Action reporting regulations, we are requesting (but NOT requiring) that you enter this personal data. This information will not be used in connection with any employment decisions, and will be used solely as permitted by state and federal law. Your voluntary cooperation would be appreciated. Learn more.

Invitation for Job Applicants to Self-Identify as a U.S. Veteran
  • A “disabled veteran” is one of the following:
    • a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or
    • a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
  • A “recently separated veteran” means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
  • An “active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran” means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
  • An “Armed forces service medal veteran” means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
Veteran status

Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form CC-305
OMB Control Number 1250-0005
Expires 04/30/2026
Why are you being asked to complete this form?

We are a federal contractor or subcontractor. The law requires us to provide equal employment opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. We have a goal of having at least 7% of our workers as people with disabilities. The law says we must measure our progress towards this goal. To do this, we must ask applicants and employees if they have a disability or have ever had one. People can become disabled, so we need to ask this question at least every five years.

Completing this form is voluntary, and we hope that you will choose to do so. Your answer is confidential. No one who makes hiring decisions will see it. Your decision to complete the form and your answer will not harm you in any way. If you want to learn more about the law or this form, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at

How do you know if you have a disability?

A disability is a condition that substantially limits one or more of your “major life activities.” If you have or have ever had such a condition, you are a person with a disability. Disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Alcohol or other substance use disorder (not currently using drugs illegally)
  • Autoimmune disorder, for example, lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, HIV/AIDS
  • Blind or low vision
  • Cancer (past or present)
  • Cardiovascular or heart disease
  • Celiac disease
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Deaf or serious difficulty hearing
  • Diabetes
  • Disfigurement, for example, disfigurement caused by burns, wounds, accidents, or congenital disorders
  • Epilepsy or other seizure disorder
  • Gastrointestinal disorders, for example, Crohn's Disease, irritable bowel syndrome
  • Intellectual or developmental disability
  • Mental health conditions, for example, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD
  • Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
  • Mobility impairment, benefiting from the use of a wheelchair, scooter, walker, leg brace(s) and/or other supports
  • Nervous system condition, for example, migraine headaches, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Neurodivergence, for example, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, dyspraxia, other learning disabilities
  • Partial or complete paralysis (any cause)
  • Pulmonary or respiratory conditions, for example, tuberculosis, asthma, emphysema
  • Short stature (dwarfism)
  • Traumatic brain injury
Please check one of the boxes below:

PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.

You must enter your name and date
Human Check*