Mechanical Design Principal Engineer (SMR)
Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unfailingly safe and secure source of clean energy using nuclear fission, called the SMR-160 small modular reactor. The position is offered by SMR LLC as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry.
Come join a growing multidisciplinary team of designers and engineers designing the next generation nuclear power plant. The Mechanical Design Principal Engineer is the mechanical/structural subject matter expert who will provide technical leadership to the civil/mechanical team of junior engineers, analysts, and designers. The civil/mechanical team designs and analyzes mechanical and structural components of buildings and systems within the SMR-160 plant. The designs and analysis support engineering and licensing requirements, leading to the licensing and construction of the first SMR-160 plant. The Engineer must possess a keen understanding of mechanical engineering methodologies and tools to lead, mentor, and grow a capable civil/mechanical team to efficiently deliver the SMR-160 design. The Engineer will be part of a team executing a U.S. Government cost-shared development program requiring efficient completion of engineering assignments.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate with project leadership to develop and execute civil/mechanical engineering activities in support of SMR-160 development, including scope development, work planning, organization, and progress reporting.
- Prepare and review engineering calculations, technical reports, functional and requirements specifications, design specifications, drawings, and other engineering work products.
- Prepare sketches and other conceptual design information for subsequent development.
- Perform independent verification, validation, and oversight of engineering activities.
- Develop and maintain SMR standards and conduct of engineering methods in functional area.
- Plan, organize, lead, and perform complex assignments in a team environment.
- Support and manage procurement of contracted services and equipment.
- Provide mentoring, training, and technical direction to a team of civil/mechanical engineers.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to internal and external organizations, including regulatory interactions for which the Engineer will provide subject matter expertise.
- Collaborate with subcontractors and colleagues, including other subject matter experts.
- BS in mechanical, nuclear, or closely related field of engineering.
- 10+ years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- 5+ years of nuclear experience (e.g. NSSS vendor, EPC, utility, engineering consulting, etc.).
- 5+ years of design experience using ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code for design of vessels, heat exchangers, internals, and other components.
- Effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents.
- Demonstrated good judgment, flexibility, adaptability, leadership skills, and ability to act independently.
- Ability to plan and organize work tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong math, analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills.
- Working knowledge of mechanical design (CAD tools - SolidWorks and AutoCAD) and analytical tools (ANSYS and PV Elite).
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Optional Additional Qualifications:
- MS or PhD in mechanical, nuclear, or closely related field of engineering.
- P.E. License.
- Experience using FEA simulation to support product development.
- Experience working with fabricators/constructors to develop practical and cost-effective designs.
- Experience with the SmartPlant software suite.
- Experience in commercial nuclear or naval nuclear design.
- Subject matter expertise with ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section III.
- Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. Nuclear Regulations and Guidance from 10 CFR 50; 10 CFR 52; NUREG-0800 Chapters 3, 4, 5, and 6; and nuclear quality assurance.